In this post, which is based on a presentation we delivered at the North Fulton WordPress MeetUp and Marietta WordPress Meetup, we’ll discuss uncovering content strategies for your business to help you earn higher rankings and traffic.
- What characteristic of content is the most crucial factor to master for higher rankings and traffic. Go there now »
- How to uncover content strategies for your business through some keyword research techniques.
- Content types/tactics for each stage of the Sales Funnel
- Common content strategy frameworks to consider applying in your business. Go there »
- Tips for creating successful content based on your strategy and keyword research.
- Maximizing the benefit of content you've spent time creating through content promotion
These Top 10 Critical SEO Success Factors are from Zyppy SEO's awesome post of Ranked Google Success Factors.
How do you figure out what search phrases to target?
The answer to this question depends on your specific situation and goals. These 3 things are important steps in deciding what search phrases to target and your resulting SEO content strategy.
1. Know Your Goals
Examples: Brand Awareness, Acquiring New Customers, Online Transactions, Email Sign Ups
2. Define Your Target Customers
Examples: Customer Profiles, Verticals, Niches (Resource: Define Your Target Audience)
3. Do Keyword Research
To create content that targets user's queries, you need some data on what they are searching. More about Keyword Research »
Keyword Research takes many forms, but it typically consists of 3 types of data:
Query: What are people actually searching for?
Volume: How many are searching for it?
Difficulty/Competition: How competitive is it to rank for this term in Google?
When doing keyword research:
Search from the user's point of view, not your own.
Avoid targeting industry jargon unless your target audience understands and uses the same terminology.
Resources and Guides for Doing Keyword Research
- Keywords and Keyword Research (Moz.com)
- Keyword Research for SEO: The Definitive Guide (Backlinko.com)
- The High Value of Low Volume Keywords
- How to Do Keyword Research (From the Future Agency)
Head Keywords are (usually) Not Worth Chasing
- Typically too broad
- Rarely match intent because they are not specific enough
- Too competitive
Example: "Insurance Company"
Long Tail Keywords Are Better for Targeted Search
- Longer and more specific by nature
- They may be low volume, but still valuable because they target more specifically
Example: "Is workers comp insurance required for a small business in Georgia?"
Content Types for Users at all Stages of the Sales Funnel
When creating an SEO content strategy for your business, keep in mind these different types of content for all stages of the Sales Funnel.
|GOALS||Indirect customer acquisition; brand awareness||Direct customer acquisition||Transactions with customers||Retention of existing customers; advocacy|
|TACTIC||Educational content, viral content||Solutions to use-case challenges||Product descriptions and unique value propositions||Help, support and onboarding|
|TYPES OF CONTENT||Blog Posts|
How-to content that showcases your products
Be prepared to back it up with:
A streamlined, comprehensible and trustworthy sales process
|Customer support and help documentation|
Email Outreach and Follow-Up
Effective Product UX
Common content strategy frameworks to consider applying in your business.
Most businesses will find the best results using multiple content frameworks for their content strategy.
Verticals / Specific Customer Profiles
Example: Employee Screening Company targets specific industries like Healthcare, Hospitality, Education, etc. with focused landing pages.
Resource Library (FAQs, Whitepapers, Case Studies)
Example: Video production company organizes long-tail keyword targeted content for multiple stages of the sales cycle into an easy to navigate library.
Project / Portfolio Pages
Example: Event Design company posts Project Recap posts that cross-reference Event Type pages (wedding, corporate, marketing events) and Venue pages.
Example: Non-Profit needs Donations and Volunteers targets events such as National Day of Service, monthly Beta Club Volunteer Hours requirements, and the end-of-year holiday donation season.
Hyperlocal (especially useful for Real Estate)
Example: Real Estate Agent builds authority in a geographic location by publishing content specific to the area, and also targets hyperlocal areas like "homes for sale in Alpharetta High School district."
Example: Catering company targets Spring Weddings, Summer Family Reunions, Fall Tailgating events, and Winter Holiday Parties.
Local City Pages to rank in cities where you have no address
Example: A service area business cannot rank in the local 3-Pack for areas where they have no address, but can target ranking in the organic results with high-quality city pages.
Low Hanging Fruit
In Google Search Console, go to Performance, Queries and filter for terms for which you are on page 1 or 2 and look for opportunities.
Creating content can be daunting. Consider these techniques to help you in content creation.
- Interview subject matter experts in your company
- Look in your outbox….What do you explain to potential or current clients again and again via email? Incorporate this information on your website.
- Video Transcription - If you have a video content strategy, embed the video but also provide a formatted transcription.
- Keep a Content Topic List (with associated target keywords from your research) - When you have time to write, you can refer to the list.
- Industry News - Have a weekly reading habit for the latest news in your industry. This may yield topic ideas or supporting evidence for other content.
- Ask current clients about their pain points and what they would like to know more about.
Tips to Improve Engagement Metrics
- Make Content Visually Interesting to encourage scrolling and interaction
- Video on a page naturally increases 'dwell time' or 'time on page'
- Use headings , images and lists to make pages easily scannable and digestible to avoid bounces
- Longer Content ranks better on average, but it's not required and not a magic bullet.
Download a PDF Copy of the Presentation
Subscribe to our WebCoach newsletter and get a PDF copy of the presentation delivered to your inbox.